I am obsessed with beauty boxes. I have already sang my praises about GlossyBox and am waiting for my box from ipsy. I’m a member of Influenster, too. I have one more invite if anyone is interested. Today, though, today I am going to write about BirchBox. Let’s start with the basics- it’s $10 a month for a box of “deluxe” samples depending on your beauty profile. They are the first beauty subscription I heard of and the first that I ordered.
When I got my first box last year, I was excited. I can’t remember what was in it but I was happy just to have a surprise every month. The first few months were pretty great. Then something weird happened. I started getting crappy boxes- I mean, for $10 I would think they could do better. I got a few really great boxes- Teen Vogue was pretty good and I liked the extra box of Vichy products. Recently, they sent a goop box. Blech., C’mon, Gwyneth Paltrow, I expect more from you!
Anyway, I got my November box today and I am disappointed once again. There are four beauty products and one “lifestyle extra” (gee, thanks.) Here is what I got:
1) Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture and Volume Spray- Seems to be a texturizer that gives volume. If the peeps at BirchBox read my beauty profile, they would know I don’t need a volumizer. My hair is curly. Why would I need volume if I already look like a CH-CH-CH-CHia Pet?
2) Stila All Over Shimmer Liquid Luminizer- This is a small tube and though I like highlighters, the one they sent me is a bit dark for my skin. I can probably use it but again, why do I have a beauty profile? AND I just bought a set of three from Sephora for $10.
3) Miracle Skin Transformer Vanish Instant Imperfection Corrector- Okay, this is a primer with built in serum and “optical diffusers.” I use primer so I will eventually get to this. Too bad the tube is tiny and I’ll only get 1-3 uses.
4) Atelier Cologne Rose Nonyme Cologne Absolue- I haven’t smelled the miniature vial and I just bought a set of these from Sephora. This was not included and since I like a few of the colognes in the set I purchased, I will use this.
5) Chuao Chocolatier ChocoPod (Lifestyle Extra)- A very tasty chocolate covered potato chip that was eaten in two bites.
6) BirchBox Holiday Catalogue- Product peddling magazine that was a little pretentious. I do not need to buy a $58 box for the home. No one needs an expensive deck of cards.
The one most excellent thing that BirchBox did was mention their support of The Art of Elysium, a non-profit that encourages those in the arts and performing arts to dedicate time and talent to children who are battling various medical conditions.
I apologize for my whining but after getting two excellent boxes from GlossyBox, I had to say something.
BirchBox is not Product Hoochie approved. I will not renew my subscription when it is up.
Keep Calm and Primp On! XOXO